Tuesday 18 December 2012

Day 2 : Do I need steroids?

Thursday 13th December
I call in sick at work.  I was told to go to the eye casualty first thing in the morning, so I follow the advice.  My girlfriend drives me there because one of my eyes is still taped closed.  I slept like this lastnight.  I see an eye doctor and we do a series of tests, and strange tools are used on my eye.  She had absolutely no concern that there was anything wrong with the eye.  She gives me a prescription for some regular eye drops, some Lacri Lube and gives me a roll of medical tape.  I am told I only need to tape my eye closed at night, as I can force my eyes closed during the day if I really try.  The concern is that my eye can dry out and lead to corneal ulceration, which sounds horrendous.  When I return home I make a video and upload it to show people what has happened. I pick up all my medication and take an Aciclovir 800mg tablet for the second time.  I take 4 in total on this day, 3 hours apart.

I start Googling some more.  I find lots of videos of other people with the same condition.  I am also surprised that most people I tell about it, know somebody that had it too.  I have never heard of Bells Palsy. From my preliminary expert research.  It would seem that it is rare that people don't recover at all.  Most people recover within 2 months and even the ones that take longer, recover 90% of their facial movement eventually.  It's encouraging reading.  I also find lots of research suggesting Aciclovir is an anti-viral drug that will cure my mouth ulcers but may have little or no effect on the Bells Palsy, which is obviously my primary concern.  There are multiple research papers online showing an improvement in recovery from people who take a steroid called Prednisolone within 72 hours of onset of symptoms.  I decide to my GP first thing in the morning and ask about this.  I use the Lacri Lube at night, it's super thick and as soon as it goes in, it renders the eye useless.  Not that it matters because I then tape down my eyelid and get some sleep.  I sleep surprisingly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment